What causes the body to be cold after death ?
Thanks for writing to us.
You have the right information that after death, the body temperature decreases at the rate of 1.5-1.8 degrees Celsius till it reaches the surrounding temperature.
This is the rectal temperature we are talking of and not the temperature of the extremities and face which are expected to be cold in case of compromised blood supply.
Since you kissed his face, it is expected to be colder as there was no blood supply to his face for last at least half an hour and it is constantly being exposed to the external environment.
If still you found your son very cold then the reasons might be-
1. He was on I.V. fluids which were continued till 35 minutes after his death- these fluids tend to bring down the temperature faster.
2. He might have been given a cold sponging due a possible fever.
3. A preferably lower body temperature is tried to maintain while trying to resuscitate to decrease the oxygen requirement of the body so that if he is resuscitated, the tissue damage will be minimum.
It can best be assessed by his treating doctor who has seen the whole situation and knows what treatment was given to him.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes cold sores
- What causes cold sweats
- What could cause extreme cold and hotness in body
- What causes the body to be cold after death
- What causes cold knees
- What causes cold and increased body temperature at night
- What causes cold and cough
- What causes sweating and cold feeling in body
- What is the cause of recurring cold
- What causes headachedizzinesspalpitaions and cold sweat after running