What causes swollen feet and ankles after an unsuccessful surgery for hydrocephalus?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My feet and ankles are badly swollen after an unsuccessful operation hydrocephelus or water on the brain
Can anything be done to return them to normal?
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Limb elevation will be helpful to return it to normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. The swelling in feet and ankles is not related to unsuccessful surgery.
2. This swelling can be reduced through limb elevation. You can put 2-3 pillow below the legs, in lying down position, so that the legs, is above heart level.
3. Its a dependent edema and it will reduce with limb elevation. Overnight, if possible or until swelling reduces, position needs to be maintained.
4. Regarding furosemide/ diuretics therapy, which will help in much faster reduction, your neurologist opinion is also necessary, as it can affect hydrocephalus too.

At present limb elevation is treatment of choice. If persistent and diuretics therapy is necessary, then neurologist opinion is compulsory.

Need to reduce swelling, as it can further spread, upper into legs and persistent swelling can cause ulceration/ wounds and increased pigmentation along with itching.

Check your blood pressure and make sure it is within normal range.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 3 days later
Will follow your advice to elevate legs Your suggestion makes sense.

Art XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do continue to elevate legs in lying down position

Detailed Answer:
Hi Art XXXXXXX

Thanks for replying.

Do elevate the legs with support in lying down position and it would be helpful.
Swelling reduction is necessary to prevent any skin related damage.

If you do not have any further queries, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr. Prakash HM
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist