What causes swollen ankle, knees and fingers?

Question
Hi. I have sudden swelling of ankles, knees and fingers. All Fingers very painful and swollen unrelieved with pain meds but all symptom disappeared with 60 mg prednisone and 20mg lasik and 10 K+. I have been on 40mg/day prednisone to keep symptoms at bay for 4 weeks now and cannot get off of it or symptoms appear again severely. Hx of mild asthma and I wear cpap for sleep apnea. 52yo female. cardiac ultrasound was normal, electrolytes normal, ANA a bit high and sed rate high but autoantibodies normal, thyroid normal, d-dymer normal. What would you check next??
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kidney functions.

Detailed Answer:

In view of details I would like to get kidney functions checked and if needed then kidney biopsy.Kidney related autoimmune disease can present like this.

Even a ultrasound of kidneys should be undertaken.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Follow-up: What causes swollen ankle, knees and fingers? 8 minutes later
Great. I will f/u with my doctor with your advice and get my kidneys checked. Thanks again. BTW, no infections and lab for infections normal. It does seem like an autoimmune problem. If kidney test normal, then what would you advise next? Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Then see Rheumatologist

Detailed Answer:
Then see Rheumatologist, in case kidney XXXXXXX are fine.