Is shortness of breath during physical activity associated with GERD?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
I am a 40 year old male with no health problem in the past apart from mild asthma and oesophagitis. 3 years ago i performed a cardiac check with an electrocardiogram and echocardiograph which was fine. Six months ago I went to the cardiologist who perform only and electrocardiograph and said that I am fine. The last couple of weeks I have been drinking alcohol and not having a good diet and have felt my stomach and oesophagus pretty irridated. What worried me is that the last week I observe that I have shortness of breath and i pant very easilY, I pant going up a couple of steps upstairs. Do you think this is something serious or it is GERD? Do you think I should do something immediately or fix my diet and wait to see if symptoms improve?
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms (shortness of breath during physical activity) are not typical of esophagitis or GERD.

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your doctor and performing some tests to investigate for other possible causes underlying your complaints:

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound to examine your heart function and structure and exclude heart failure
- NT pro-BNP levels for heart failure
- a chest X ray study and pulmonary function tests to exclude a lung disorder (especially considering the fact that you suffered from asthma)
- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes for possible
- kidney and liver function tests
- fasting glucose for diabetes.

Meanwhile, I recommend taking a PPI (omeprazole, pantoprazole, etc.) regularly and avoid spicy food in order to help improve your heartburn.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal whenever you have any other questions!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri