What causes swelling of the lymph nodes with ear pain and fullness of throat?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can lymph nodes swell during perimenopause? I am still not feeling well, like a cold wants to come on but hasn't fully yet. I can feel twinge pains in my left ear, my neck and throat feel fuller than normal, my headache is kinda there, im NOT running a fever. My other concern: I have been having stomach issues also, my GP thinks it might be IBS but she wants me to see a GI. I have lost 6 pds in the last month. I'm hungry but Im afraid to eat. My fear is swollen lymph nodes and stomach pain are 2 Lymphoma symptoms. My anxiety is through the roof. My stomach pain is mostly gas pain, I had diarrhea yesterday morning only after drinking chicken broth. I dont ever have diarrhea but I do have constipation quite frequently. Sometimes 5-6 days before I can go. I have added fiber (benefiber)to my diet once a day which helps me. Anyway.....Thank you for any help you can give me.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Evaluation required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query,
Have seen your details.
Ear pain with fullness in throat could be suggestive of pharyngitis which is infection of upper part of throat as a result of viral or bacterial infection.Lymph nodes in our body can act as a site of check point of infection.Pharyngitis may involve swelling in lymph nodes.Lymphomas and other cancers never develops in a day or two they usually develop gradually.
I would suggest you to go for a swab culture and sensitivity test.
Mild anti inflammatory can be taken.
IBS is also a diagnosis of exclusion.So initially go for a colonosscopy and stool test.
If every thing turns up to be normal.Then it can be IBS.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng