What causes sudden pain in lower back, dizziness and nausea?

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I am an EMT and while transferring a patient on a gurney down some steep steps I heard my back suddenly pop. I experienced horrible pain, dizziness and nausea. The dizziness and nausea passed, but the pain across my lower back is constant. I have osteoporosis in my hips and spine. Should I treat this as a muscle injury?
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably muscle spasm; MRI should be done

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

From your description, it seems like a muscle spasm. But considering your age and history of carrying heavy weight, intervertebral disc or bony injury should always be ruled out.
So I would suggest the following-

An X-ray and MRI Lumbosacral spine.
Avoiding heavy weight bearing specially after forward bending.
Aceclofenac-thiocolchicoside combination orally for pain relief.
Hot dry compression.
Additional local painkiller gel like diclofenac.

I will suggest you visiting a doctor who will prescribe the aforementioned medications. They are not available over the counter.
You can get back to me with the reports or consult an orthopedician for further management.

Hope this helps.
You can consult me for any further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad