What causes stomach pain after food intake and blood in stool?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: On the 16/08/15, I had stomach discomfort (not too long after having a meal), which I thought was diarrhoea. As a result, I took diarrhoea relief capsules – Loperamide Hydrochloride, 2mg). I took the capsules again on 17/08/15 and 18/08/15, and stopped when I noticed the condition improved.
However, on 19/08/15, I noticed plenty of dark blood in my stool; this happened again on the 20/08/15 and today, 21/08/15.
I have taken no other medication; but I am still on Amlodipine, 10mg tablets, for a number of years now.
Please I need your help.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Was the stool black like a tar, or just dark brown? Was the blood mixed with the stool or just in its surface?

Stomach discomfort or pain after foods intake can be caused by peptic ulcer. Especially if you have had also nausea and/or lack of appetite. Black like a tar stool can be a sign of bleeding from such ulcer.

Dark blood present in the stool is usually a sign of large intestine issue including bacterial infection, polyp or even something more serious.
As you are almost 50, there is a time to have colonoscopy done.

I suggest you to consult your doctor. Please have abdominal ultrasound, blood work done at first. Colonoscopy should be scheduled and gastroscopy considered.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
Hi there,

Actually, when I stooled today I looked at my stool; at first I thought it has stopped, as I did not see blood at first (it is possible the blood was inside the stool or under it in the toilet bowl); but when I cleaned myself up, I noticed thick-dark brown blood (do not know if that was the colour - but it was not light!). As at yesterday I could see the blood in the toilet bowl. I did not see that today, at least, until I cleaned myself up. I will have a closer observation next time, that is, if it happens again! Hope not.

Can I consult one of your specialists colleagues at this stage, or you're a specialist yourself?

Thanks for your help.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy is still necessary.

Detailed Answer:
I am a specialist (general surgeon). But if you wish to consult someone else, feel free to ask and start new query.

From your description, hemorrhoids might be the reason. But colonoscopy is necessary either way.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Thanks for your initial response to my question. Expecting an answer to my follow up question. Regards.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consider having colonoscopy done.

Detailed Answer:
The blood you have noticed does not come from the peptic ulcer for sure. So we can rule this out. Dark brown blood present as a separate clot (not mixed with the stool), indicates that the bleeding is close to the anus. Most common source of bleeding in this area are hemorrhoids. You may have some itching around the anus as well.
Unfortunately it is hard to tell if the blood comes from the hemorrhoid or from something much more serious like polyp or cancer. That is why, for your safety, colonoscopy is a good idea.
If nothing else than hemorrhoids is found, you should try hemorrhoids suppositories, sitz baths with Oak Bark, and fiber rich diet.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your answer. I think I am satisfied with it, and give God all the glory!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.