What causes stiff neck,muscle pain and occipital headaches?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Can you help me put it together? I am in the process of having some troubling health issues and am going through a full work up. I am finding healthcare magic helpful during this time. I am 45 and 6 months ago had an onset of "pressure headaches" in my head, earaches and lots of body aches- mainly palm and sole pain. It has now taken up permanent residence as a stiff neck, burning muscle pain in the trapezius and occipital headaches. Lots of assorted various facial pain too and some tingling and neuro type symptoms (cognitive, muscle jumping). I have had brain mri's, full body CT, lumbar puncture, etc. Have seen a neurologist too and he is uncertain. I have a very interesting history that suggests some sort of rheum issue but no one can pin it down. I have had open heart surgery for degenerative mitral valve prolapse; I have some hypermobility of the arms; I have a high arched narrow palate and long face; I have anticardiolipin antibodies; I have raynauds syndrome, I have unexplained severe cervical neck disc stenosis and herniations; the margins of my optic nerve in my left eye are starting to blur. I also have a very weak positive Anti nuclear antibody and a persistent elevated IGM. I also have Lymes and a calcified mediastinal lymph node and very very low blood pressure. Whenever I take doxcycliine I tend to "flare" and get lots of joint pains, neuro issues, etc. I feel that there is something in my system or the way I am wired which reacts this way. I have been to a rheumatologist who says that I have some type of collagen vascular or connective tissue issue but nothing that can be identified as a diagnosis. I doubt I have Ehlers Danlos because I do not have skin issues. Could it be Marfans? Fibromyalgia? Sarcodosis? Lupus? I am so certain that these headaches are caused by factors that I have. I feel like I am falling apart and have no diagnosis. My cardiologist thinks that possibly from the collagen disorder my arteries have stretched dilated and thus the low blood pressure problem. I honestly do not know where do go from here but I am in a lot of pain.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that your rheumatologist is right in saying that it is difficult to link all of them together. But still I will like to know your ANA , ENA profile , Anti dsDNA antibody , complement levels , CRP, ESR , RF , S. ACE levels and your anti cardiolipin antibody profile . Even your Lymes disease can also give rise to all these features after the acute phase has settled . I will need all your test reports to figure out something . Take care. Dr. Shruti