• question-icon

What causes spasms and twitching in the buttocks?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: It hurts badly for me to sit on any kind of hard surface, but it wasn't always this way. Around March-April this year, I experienced terrible and constant spasms and twitching in my buttocks/thigh/glut area. Following these spasms my rear began to look more shrunken in and unshapely. This had me extremely worried that I was expierencing some sort of atrophy from an untold disease. I got my blood checked and everything checked out fine. I was told I was completely healthy. I then went to a doctor after begging my parents and the doctor told me I was healthy and my rear looked fine and I hadn't expierenced any kind of muscle loss. Now this all may be good and true, but the question remains - why do I feel intense pain of my rear bones pressing down unto my skin whenever I sit down on a hard surface? It was so bad at one point that I only felt comfortable sleeping on my stomach. I can sleep on my back now and It has gotten a bit better, but it still remains and is very unpleasant, painful at times, and quite frankly, very scary. I have no idea why or how this problem arose and what caused the initial spasms that set me off into this madness. I will add that I am a longtime sufferer of severe anxiety but this is no anxious made up fantasy. This is a very real and disturbing reality every time I sit down on a hard surface such as the ground or an uncushioned chair, things that are fine for most people. I am also feeling nauseous often but that may just be the anxiety. Please help me in any way you can, this is an issue that plagues my thoughts constantly and prevents me from enjoying my life - thank you.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tail bone pain

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question on HCM

I do understand your concern

With such a presentation in my clinic, I would first ruled out [Coccydynia]and to confirm diagnosis you need a detailed physical exam of your tail bone and a clinical local anesthetic injection test and if test is positive then you need a dynamic X-ray test. If you are confirmed first treatment will be conservative like this-:

1)Do not sit on hard surface for long time rather use a pillow.

2)Do consult with a physiotherapist in your area for repeated exercise and massage to the muscles in the tail bone.

3)Use hot and cold massage regularly three times a day.

4)Use a proper sitting position as per your medical test report

5)Do check your weight if over weight then reduce it by 5%

6)Do exercises at home regularly like [kneeling groin stretch, piriformis stretch, and hands to feet stretch]and these exercises at home prevents tail bone pain.

Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 9 hours later
What do you think of the spasms? They are what caused this but i want to know why. Did i loose muscle or something? How does coccydynia usually happen?
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tail bone pain

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up reply

“As” per your reply it is muscular spasm only and there is no chance of losing muscle so to know exact point you need investigation as well as a physical examination and it will be clear whether you need conservative treatment or surgical correction. The main cause is due to trauma and sometimes non-trauma like sitting in improper positions, cycling pressure and some pathological conditions. So, do a dynamic X-ray or MRI before meeting your orthopedic doctor.

Hope that helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 3 hours later
Ok thank you, but i dont remember ever experiekcing trauma to lead me to this. I just began to get frequent spasms then it became painful to sit due to bones crushing down on my skin. There was never a physically traumatic moment that caused this
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tailbone pain

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up reply

“As” per your past history sometimes it happens without any cause also which is known as idiopathic, so nothing to be worried at all do investigations and as per report take treatment and you will be get well soon.

Hope that helps
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo