What causes sore throat, right ear ache, weakness and lethargy?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I started with a sore throat on the right side. now my right ear is starting to hurt. I am feeling week and lethargic. It is becoming more painfull each day
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
pharyngitis (and otitis?)

Detailed Answer:

Ear pain is common in pharyngitis. It usually occurs when the patient swallows and it's referred pain, that is it originates in the throat but is felt in the ear. Sometimes during an upper respiratory tract infection, usually in cases with serious nasal congestion, the eustachian tube (a canal that links the middle ear cavity with the nasal cavity) may become clogged and if left untreated, cause otitis (intense pain, reduced hearing, fluid/pus discharge).

Your doctor may diagnose Otitis with clinical examination (direct visualization of the tympanic membrane). Antibiotics may help. If otitis is present, then perhaps decongestants(Phenylephrine) may help to relieve the eustachian tube obstruction. Also steam inhalation 3-4 times a day helps in reducing the symptoms ..

I hope you find my insight helpful!
Please don't hesitate to contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee