What causes sore throat after using nebulizer with Pulmicortnebuamp and Salbutamol?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: nebulizer with one pulmicortnebuamp and half of one salbutamol twice a day plus half of salbutamol twice a day.been taking for two weeks.now have back pain at waist line and sore throat.Not coughing up much phlem now.What do you recommend
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat can be due to poor nebulisation technique.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
Pulmicort is having budesonide. It is inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) and salbutamol is short acting beta 2 agonist (SABA).
Both are commonly used in asthma and bronchitis.
Sore throat is common with nebulisation if gargles are not done after it's use.
Nebulizer causes generation of micro particles for inhalation. These particles can stick to pharynx and back of throat. So gargles should be done after nebulisation.
If gargles are not done then these particles can cause sore throat.
So you are mostly having sore throat due to this reason.
Back pain has no connection with nebulisation. You might be having musculoskeletal pain.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.