Owl Image

What causes sore and itchy vagina after sex?

OBGYN
Question
good evening i have sore and ichey on my vigina and what ever i have done not work and when i have sex my boyfriend get ichey as well what can i do please can you help me

Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dry vagina

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Welcome to healthcare magic.

The sore and itchy vagina can be due to following 2 reasons

1. Vaginal dryness due to estrogen deficiency as you are 50 years old. You can estrogen vaginal cream during sex and see if it relieves your pain.

2. Infection in your vagina is another possibility. Request your doctor to send high vaginal swab for culture and sensitivity test. The report will identify the organism affecting and you can take antibiotics or vaginal creams accordingly.

I hope your doubt is cleared now.

Dr. Soumya

Follow-up: What causes sore and itchy vagina after sex? 12 hours later
Dear DR XXXXXXX
Thanks for replay to me but I had this problem for years and I am not dry at all it's not inside my body only out side ? no one can help me ? all the test normal and if i try any cream after 2 days will be back this sore problem and its really make me upset could you please let me know which cream its more strong to us ? hope you can help me

Answered by Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Estrogen deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hello

That is what I had replied in my last reply.

There seems to be chronic infection. That is why you have been suffering since many years.

No creams used to help you. You had temporary relief because the creams were not effective.

You need to diagnose infection causing organism. Therefore get high vaginal swab tested and take treatment according to report. That is scientific way to treat.

There is no strong or weak cream.

I hope your doubt is cleared.

Dr. Soumya