question-icon

What causes small bug bites and itching sensation all over body?

Posted on Thu, 28 May 2015
Question: Hello-

I just traveled back from st. Maarten.

On my 2nd to last day and last day I noticed these small bug bites ... Not thinking much of it moved on with life. Went to the beach then went to airport to catch plane.

On airplane back I was uncontrollably itchy. Next day I noticed these burn like scratches on back?! And I feel like new bites keep appearing even though I am in my clean beautiful home in California. Thought strange I had a nurse friend look at my back and she said it looked like friction burns.

Now I have a knot like lump on my left side of tailbone the hurts to the touch. I just noticed it. I def didn't hit it anywhere that I recall.

Help. What can this be?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Photograph required

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Probably you have developed insect bite hypersensitivity.
In such cases hypersensitivity to a single bite can cause reaction all over body.
I treat such cases with oral steroids.
If possible upload a photograph of the involved area.
This will help me in giving a proper diagnosis.
Waiting for your response.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist