What causes slight discomfort in the left side of throat?

ENT Specialist
Question
hi. i woke up a couple hours ago and felt slight discomfort in the left side of my throat. (not inside, but outside (it's located near or at my lymphnode but i can also feel a muscle there close by that could be the issue. i normally only feel discomfort or pain in this area when i have a bad cold or throat infection, with the swelling of the lymphnode. i havent been sick, and i dont feel any symptoms of a sinus or throat infection coming on. the problem is,i can't stop ruminating on the discomfort. it's a dull pain, not severe. i have 2 severe anxiety disorders that can cause some very odd physical symptoms at times. when the pain began, i was laying on the couch on my left side, with my head bent upward at an odd angle. i keep telling myself that i most likely just pulled a muscle or slept in an odd position so that i can calm myself down, but then i panic thinking that since the pain is near my lymphnode it may be a sign of oncoming infection or something worse. my muscles in my neck, face, and upper back have been very tense the past two weeks so i cant wholly dismiss the possibility that it's just muscle strain. it feels much better when i move my neck a certain way, but i can still feel it on and off. is there anything i can do to lessen the discomfort? do you think it's from straining or infection? i can't seem to calm myself down and now i'm having more anxiety symptoms (more muscle tension in my chest, shoulders, arms, and neck, chest tightening, shakiness, and the rush of fear from head to toe) which are only making it worse and harder to determine the actual cause of the problem.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pain killer

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam and welcome to healthcaremagic,

From your description I feel that you have strained your muscle.
You will feel better in some time, do not worry.
Take a pain killer like diclofenac after checking your dose.

You can also do some hot wet fomentation to ease the muscle. Be careful not to burn yourself.
If you do not feel better see an orthopedician.

Dr rajkisori godhi

Follow-up: What causes slight discomfort in the left side of throat? 13 minutes later
thank you for easing my mind. it always helps to have a doctor tell me i'm okay. :) i've never heard of Diclofenac. is that over-the-counter?

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
over the counter

Detailed Answer:
Hello amdam,
Yes, diclofenac is over the counter drug.
It is a commonly used pain medicine. Voveron is the trade name. You can take 75mg twice a day after food.
Dr Rajkishori Godhi.