What causes skin breakouts while on Mirena IUD?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello,

I've been on the mirena IUD for not even a month now, and I am experiencing a terrible skin break out. I've usually had some hormonal acne (around the chin mostly) but this is way more than usual. I also have an ovarian cyst which hurts a lot more since I'm on mirena (it usually only hurts a couple of days before getting my menses)
I am getting the mirena removed tomorrow as I am scared that the side effects will only get worst.
My question is, do you think it's a good idea to switch to the pill immediately after removal, as it can reduce my skin and cyst problems (I was thinking about taking Yaz) or should I wait a little for my body to readjust after this month?

Thank you for your insight.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you may use YAZ from next cycle.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm,
the MIRENA IUD generally takes 2-3 months to settle down and the hormonal balance to establish and periods to stop completely, as it is a progesterone IUD, often used to control excess bleeding and also provide contraception at the same time.
Acne per se is not a side effect of progesterone IUD, but it can definitely cause mild laxity of ovarian ligaments which can present as increased pain during menses due to laxity.
However if you have decided to remove it tomorrow then you should ideally wait for your next menses to start and start a low dose oral contraceptive pill like FEMILON 28 or YAZ pill from day 2 of your next menses and till then you should practice barrier contraception.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj