What causes shortness of breath while walking prior to hip replacement?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi. Lately when I am walking, I seem to get out of breath easy. My left chest is fine. My right chest hurts a little when I move so I am thinking that may be muscle related I am having a hip replacement in August as my groin hurts when walking. Could this be causing the short of breath? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to get done chest x ray and PFT.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Pulmonary embolism can cause similar symptoms. And it can occur after orthopedic operations, but incidence of this is very rare.
So better to rule out common causes like bronchitis, lung infection, cardiac cause etc first.
So get done
1. Chest x ray
2. PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
Chest x ray is needed to rule out lung infection.
PFT is needed to rule out bronchitis.
If both are normal then get done ecg and 2d echo to rule out cardiac cause for your symptoms.
So better to consult doctor and discuss all these. First rule out common causes for your symptoms.
Hope I have solved your query.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 26 minutes later
Thanks. Also once in a while I get a warm feeling in my chest or lungs. I am not coughing or wheezing. I am going in vacation soon and I really dont think I will have time c to get xray and probably won't be able to get in to see my doctor before that
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get done ecg and 2d echo after coming from vacation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
In my opinion, you should get done ecg and 2d echo after coming from vacation to rule out cardiac diseases.
Because warm feeling in chest with mild breathlessness can be seen in eye stages of heart disease.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist