What causes shortness of breath, chest pain and sinus tachycardia?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have been having shortness of breath a chest pain for the past 2 weeks. I had a pulmonary function test done 1.5 weeks ago and it had some slightly lowered mvv at 75%, a normal mip, and lowered mep with some increases rv. I was told this could be due to poor exertion, which I did give me all, or weakness and and or Neuromuclar issues. Since then the shortness of breath feeling like its hard to talk because I can't get air has been worse and the occasional pain in chest. I've been to the ER and they told me that I was just anxious and sent me home. I additionally have been having on going sinus tachycardia that was diagnosed as possible pots and a month ago had a d-dimer and vq scan which I was told was normal. However, the shortness of breath and difficulty with speaking/ pain didn't happen until 2 weeks ago. Would my pulmonary function test 2 weeks ago have shown a possible pulmonary embolism which could be the cause for these symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, that report is not suggestive of pulmonary embolism.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
No that report is not showing pulmonary embolism.
Actually pulmonary embolism can not be picked up by PFT (pulmonary function test).
D dimer and VQ scan are the screening tests for pulmonary embolism. And both these tests are normal, so no need to worry for pulmonary embolism.
Best test for confirmation of pulmonary embolism is CT pulmonary angiography.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.