What causes shortness of breath along with shallow breathing?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am experiencing symptoms of an on going lung infection, about 3 weeks now. Shortness of breath with shallow breathing. Feel discomfort in chest and abdominal area too. Light headed, with constant headache, ringing in ears, and sore throat. I feel very cold but temperature is normal. My skin often feel cold and clammy, numb or tingling. Many of my joints, large and small are very painful. I physically feel very weak and unsteady, muscles in arms, legs, feet, and hands all hurt. I feel restless but actually am very tired. Overall I feel very sick. What are the possible or likely causes of this condition?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be a viral or mycoplasma infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your symptoms are suggestive of a mycoplasma infection or a prolonged viral infection. The response of Azithromycin is suggestive of the former. In addition to the respiratory tract symptoms, it produces general symptoms of malaise, lassitude, feverishness and aches.
It would be good to request your doctor to investigate, if no tests have been done. If you have any test results, I shall be happy to interpret them for you.
Do get back to me if you have more queries.