How can swelling in the eardrum with reddened throat be treated despite taking Keflix?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My symptoms over the last 14 days include a reddened sore throat without white patches, a right sided ear ache without drainage, a constant headache on the right side, and laryngitis over the last 5 days. No coughing no mucous or nasal congestion or sneezing. I was seen a week ago in an urgent care. The physician lyes some swelling in the lower portion of my ear drum and a reddened throat. I have been taking Keflix 500 mg Bid since Tuesday with NO change In Symptoms. I would very much appreciate your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be upper respiratory infection with acute sinusitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems like an acute upper respiratory infection due to bacterial or viral causes and usually strep or other gram positive organisms are responsible and in your case it seems to complicate due to stuffiness and inflammation getting spread to paranasal sinuses.

The ear symptoms can also be due to spread through involvement of eustachian tube which connects middle ear to the throat directly from inside and it's blockage can cause cause difference of air pressures across the ear drum and redness or pain on one side.

You need to have X-ray paranasal sinuses as well as throat cultures if possible. Preliminary antibiotics like coamoxiclav or azithromycin can be started and are usually preferred for upper respiratory infections over other antibiotics.

Using OTC anti inflammatory drugs like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can help with pain and other symptoms however anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine will help with stuffiness and congestion.

Steam inhalations and XXXXXXX warm saline water gargles can help alot. Once the infection is controlled other symptoms like ear involvement will also improve. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T