What causes shortness of breath after standing for a while?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Good afternoon. I have shortness in breathing after standing for a while. It doesn't give me pain. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
I am Dr Mittal
i am going to try to help you with your query

Breathing difficulty, after standing for a while should not occur at all at the age of 31.
I cannot tell you the exact cause because, as discussed subsequently, there are a huge number of causes with different investigations and different treatments in accordance.

I will start with the most crucial condition
Bear in mind that just because I mention it first does not mean that its the most probable possibility

1. heart failure is the most important condition that one needs to rule out. You will need an echo to check it out

2. anemia is one of the commonest conditions- needs the test of complete hemogram.

3. chest condition yet undetected is another possibility- needs to be evaluated by a chest x ray.

4. fluid deficiency can cause similar symptoms- better to restrict fluids till echo is done- excess fluid will trouble you if there is heart failure.

As you can see, the causes are highly variable. So I requestyou to give me a greater and detailed history so I can help you better

Dr Mittal