What causes dizziness and low heart rate?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 61 yr old female in good health. I teach full-time. Within the last 2 months I've been experiencing a dizzy heart drop felling when I stand from sitting. Also if I rise out of bed too quickly I feel the same thing. It as if all the blood in my body drops to me feet and I will faint. Two. Weeks ago I did faint getting out of bed and going to the bathroom.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Orthostatic hypotension

Detailed Answer:
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Orthostatic hypotension is decrease in bp with change in position from lying or sitting to standing. It happens because of fluid deficiency in body because of which blood returned to brain from lying to standing is decreased & we feel dizzy.
Treatment is drink lot of water & stand slowly from lying or standing.
Considering your age >60, I'll also advice you for a ECG to see for any heart blocks.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng