What causes severe stomach pain and hair loss while treating heart disease?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been diagnosed for enlarged heart and have been taking echosprin AV 75/20,cardivas3.125 mg(1-0-1) and cardace-2.5mg(1-0-0) since 8 months.But of late I have lost weight considerably,suffering from indigestion/severe gastric-gripping in the stomach and i feel weak also lost hair considerably.kindly advice
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Liver function test should be done .

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

Asprin irritates the gastric mucosa and may cause gastritis therefore i would suggest you to take a PPI like Nexium 40mg once daily along with all the medications you are having.This will provide to you symptomatic relief from gastric problems.
For indigestion and lack of appetite initially i would suggest you to go for liver function tests.Statins(Atorvastatin) you are on are hepatotoxic. Hepatotoxicity may cause indigestion and loss of appetite.
If Liver functions are normal start taking any over counter probiotic containing lactobacillus,This will improve your overall digestion and will increase and restore your diet.
Digestive enzymes can also be taken for few days.
Take a anti oxidant multivitamin capsule daily as generalised weekness and loss of hairs can be due to increased oxidative stress of body.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana