• question-icon

What causes severe pain under the ribs and vomiting?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Severe pain under ribs on right side with vomiting
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consideration

Detailed Answer:
hello thank you for sending the question.

Since you are reporting symptoms of pain under the right side of your ribs with vomiting I am concerned that you may be experiencing inflammation of the gallbladder which can sometimes be related to gallstones. This typically presents with abdominal pain, nausea and some vomiting with the pain located in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen.

if you do have gallstones which are causing inflammation of your gallbladder and the symptoms you are reporting your doctors can do additional examinations for confirmation. This might include laboratory studies as well as an ultrasound.

if your symptoms do not improve with observation with in the next several hours then I would recommend you go to your local physician or emergency room for immediate evaluation. If you develop fevers or chills this would be a reason to go immediately.

thank you again for sending the question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist