• question-icon

What causes severe pain in the clavicle when diagnosed with arthritis?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Lupus
Question: I have RA and have pain in my clavicle at the sternal notch, The pain is stabbing and goes to my
upper arm, what could that be?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be related to arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in clavicle and sternal notch can be related to arthritis or low levels of calcium and vitamin D3 or a muscle spasm.
Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your arm and hand muscle.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon