What causes severe neck pain leading to nausea and migraine?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 5 Oct 2018 in Back Pain
Question: hello. for the past month i have had severe neck pain off and on leading to migraines with nausea. at first i thought i slept on my neck funny but some days its fine with no pain. other days it starts with severe pain and leads to a migraine. i have osteoarthritis in my hips.. could it be some kind of arthritis and should i get a mri to check it out? thanks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:

It looks from your details that you are having pain in your neck with headache and nausea.
This pain can be due to following reasons-
-Prolapse of disc in cervical spine.
-Cervical stenosis or narrowing of holes from where the nerves exit.
-Cervical spondylosis.
-Stress.
-Deficiency of vitamin B12.

By going through all details, the most common reason for your symptoms looks to be prolapsed disc in the cervical spine.
-You should do following to have relief-
-At least have an x ray of the cervical spine. Best will be to have an MRI of spine.
-Wear a cervical collar.
This will at least give the rest to you.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 hours later
hi, thanks so much for your reply. i had an mri of my spine done, i have scoliosis and a few buldging discs. they are not on any nerves. i had this mri a while ago. ill ask for another mri and an xray. ill ask for a referal to a physiotherapist my b12 levels have been low in the past, ill ask to get these checked again. im also low on iron. do i need to get tramadol on a script? and can i take it at the same time as panadol? when i dont have pain in the neck like i described, its like the muscle is stiff.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral muscle relaxants will also help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

To decrease the pain you can have Aleve and in case the pain is severe you can get a script for Tramadol. Having an oral muscle relaxant will also help. Do start with proper supplements after getting the blood tests.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon