What causes severe leg cramps?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: what is the cause of excruciating leg cramps in the back of my thighs
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained possibilities below

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
Due to compression of nerve root there can be cramp in your thigh.

I will advise you to do MRI spine
For these symptoms neurotropic medication can be started.
You can consult physiotherapist for help.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief.
I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level.

Another possibility of Muscle cramps can be due to loss of nutritional elements.
Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or oil
Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration
Stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary cycle.
Taking diet rich in calcium and potassium or oral supplements of the same.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.