What causes severe itching on skin when suffering from low sodium level?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my mom has been hospitalized with low sodium level of 118. she is weak, nauseated, no appetite...she has experienced severe itching on her skin for over three years. blood work is normal. any ideas of what this could be?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
hospitalize her and do sodium replacement

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The hyponatremia is labelled when there is a drop in serum sodium levels to less then 135MEq/L.
Value of 118 is severe hyponatremia and may cause profound drowsiness, altered sensorium and seizures.
It must be corrected under the care of an experienced local physician. If the patient is dehydrated then should be rehydrated with IV normal saline. About 10 Grams salt should be given in a day in divided doses.
It is highly risky if you correct sodium levels rapidly. Only correct < 10 MEq in 24 hours.
The akin problem does not seem to be related but the cause of nausea and decreased appetite needs to be investigated. It is likely that she has developed the problem due to poor intake.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!