What causes severe itching and dryness of skin?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My skin is unusually dry and severe itching is constantly interrupting my daily routines and my sleep. Can this have anything to do with hormones. I am a 67 year old femaie who had a total hysterectomy when I was 33 years old. I have had numerous imbalances and I just started my hormone implant therapy in January and had my second implant the first part of May. I apprciate any help you can give.
Thank you..............XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Itching

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your skin complaint.

Low/unbalanced sex hormone states cannot cause such a problem of severe itching.

The only hormone-related conditions that can cause skin dryness/itching are:

An abnormal thyroid, particularly an under-active one

High blood glucoses/diabetes

So when I see someone like you in my practice I order the following blood tests in addition to a thorough physical examination:

CBC
CMP
TSH
Free T4
HbA1c
25 hydroxy vitamin D
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 17 minutes later
No questions. Just thank you so much for your assistance. At least you verified my thoughts on my hormone situation in relation to the severe itching. You are wonderful.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Best wishes. I hope you find a solution to the medical problem soon
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist