What causes severe headaches while undergoing testosterone supplemental therapy?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: When taking tesosterone replacement my estrogen levels keep sky rocketing and making me have bad headaches. Dr reccomebded arimidex with replacement currently on .05 per day which is still bot working. Taking 1 cc of testosterone per week of enethate
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to monitor Estrogen levels in blood frequently .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

You have been on Testosterone replacement therapy and getting severe head ache which you suspect it to be due to high levels of Estrogen in blood.

Testosterone in body is converted in Estrogen by an enzyme called Aromatase .It is primarily important in those who are on exogenous testosterone drugs to monitor Estrogen levels at frequent interval so as to adjust the doses of Testosterone depending upon the estrogen levels or to skip it for few days if Estrogen levels are more than 30 ng .

Please get your blood tests for Estrogen levels done

Please discuss this with your treating physician .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 days later
Got all my levels back testosterone was low and estrogen was also low. My dr said to take .75 of a cc in cyeringe once a week for four weeks abd we check blood work then. I have taken last week .75 and today am already gettong headaches what can this be
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
What is your Estrogen level after taking Testosterone .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

You have not mentioned your Estrogen levels before and after taking Testisterone therapy.

Get blood test for Estrogen level done and if it turns out to be more than 30ng you my need to with held it for few weeks .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.