What causes severe gastric pain in abdomen and excessive gas while on Lovenox?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I started on lovenox for PE about a week ago and have experienced severe gas pains and am unable to pass gas. Is this from the lovenox, is it normal, is there a remedy?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not a known side effect

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Lovenox is the trade name for the medication enoxaparin.

In the gastrointestinal system , it can cause diarrhea and nausea but it is not known to cause increased gas and retention though persons can react differently to medication.

Gas can sometimes be related to: gas producing foods used, constipation, reflux, lactose intolerance, celiac disease, ibs
These are the more common causes.

Gas producing foods include broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, turnips, brussel sprouts, carbonated drinks, beans

If you are using any of these, you should reduce use.

Medications such as pepcid and zantac may help even if there are no other typical symptoms of reflux

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions