What causes severe coughing with wheezing?

Pulmonologist
Question
I have frequent coughing fits, wheezing cough that sounds like I cant breathe when I cough. Is it serious? What could it be? XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You could be suffering from asthma.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

You seem to be having asthma which is causing coughing bouts and wheezing. Do you have any history of allergy like that to dust and smoke or anything else as asthma is a manifestation of allergy.

You should get basic tests like routine blood tests and a chest x ray done. You also need to get a spirometry done.

Take anti allergics like monteleukast and levocetrizine combination and a MDI like Aerocort. You should consult your PCP for correct dosages and for correct technique of taking MDI.

Even though you are not a smoker yourself but since you are caring for a smoker, you also become a passive smoker which can make your symptoms worse. Hence try and avoid the passive smoke as much as you can.