• question-icon

What causes severe abdominal bloating after meals?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello! I have been experiencing stomach issues for the past 4 or 5 months. I get really bloated, gassy and sick at my stomach a few hours after I eat. I experience this discomfort on a daily basis. I take Omeprazole 40 mg daily and still have these issues. I went to the doctor last month and had a full abdomen ultra sound and a HIDA scan to test my liver and gallbladder function. My results were all good and had shown no signs of gallbladder disease. My also had my blood drawn and my lab results were normal. Overall, my stool is usually formed and solid. I've had loose stool only a few times over the past several months. I really don't know what else to do. Should I try changing up my diet? Should I seek a GI consultant? What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tab.Omeprazole with Tab.Gas-X and some dietary precautions.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

I have read your query and understand the concern.

Feeling boated in stomach could be related to dyspepsia or acute gastritis.

Since you have already undergone various tests and all that came back normal then I would suggest you to try for dietary change first.

You can wait for 1 or 2 weeks to get some relief from all these symptoms.

1) Continue to take over the counter antacids tablets like Tab.Omeprazole with Tab.Gas-X twice daily to get relieved from the symptoms of bloating and if you have burning gas pain.

These both drugs may give immediate relief within few hours.

2) Take syrup digene 2 TSF three times a day will also be helpful.

3) Avoid hot,oily and spicy foods.

5) Avoid eating full stomach one at a time rather, instead take small meals frequently.

6) Take soft diet for initial few days.

7) Avoid complex carbohydrates like beans, potato and carbonated beverages and milk based products which are hard to digest and they also cause more gas formation.

8) Drink plenty of water and fruit juices the day.

9) There are certain digestive enzymes (Unienzyme) available over the counter which will also be helpful in the digestion of carbohydrates and minimize the gas production.

10) Avoid talking which eating,doing so may also cause further gas formation.stomach bloating could also occur because of air swallowing known as erophagia.

From above symptomatic medications and dietary precautions,we may expect to see improvement within 1 or 2 weeks, but in case if problem persists longer, then i will advise to see gastro-physician (GI specialist) who can order upper GI endoscopy (since blood works,LFTs,abdominal ultrasound already done) which may enable us to arrive at a particular diagnosis.

Hope this will be helpful.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sandip Kabra