• question-icon

What causes scar tissue granulation to reoccur postpartum?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,

I had my delivery with 2nd degree tear. I have developed granulation tissue (Red protruding skin )in the sides of the stitches. I have done cauterization twice (with copper sulphate i guess) and it was hurtful. I applied T-Bact ointment and was cleaning the portion with betadine. However the granulation tissue is reappearing,the area is not healing. What is a permanent remedy to stop its formation? is there any ointment/medicine to stop granulation tissue formation. what will happen if it is left untreated?

Kind regards,
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cauterisation or laser treatment can help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
To decrease the granulation tissue formation chemical cauterzation or laser irradiation is the only treatment. Local application of ointments will not help. If excessive granulation tissue is formed then it can be painful and cause a big scar in the area or may even bleed to touch or during intercourse. It is best to consult a dermatologist and get proper treatment done to avoid any complications.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 hours later
Dear doctor,
Thank you for thereply. Cauterization is not workingfor me , i did it twice . It is reappearing after 1 week. What is the cause of granulation tissue ? Is laser irradiation a permanent remedy ? Is it hurful and will anesthesia be given ? Will taking antibiotics work ??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Laser therapy will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the granulation tissue is reappearing after cauterzation then laser therapy can work for you. It appears due to increased vascularity in the area. Laser therapy will help in reducing the vascularity in the area. It is not very painful and anaesthesia is not required if small area is involved. Antibiotics will not help as there is no infection in the area.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN