What causes right upper quadrant pain followed by gas and diarrhea?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Results of a recent manometry indicate Jackhammer esophagus. I will upload the report. I don't see my GI doc until mid January, so I was wondering what your impression and/or treatment recommendations might be. I am about 4 years post cholestectomy, I also get severe URQ pain referring to the back although bloodwork doesn't seem to indicate and pancreatic involvement. These "attacks" are often followed by lots of gas and "yellow" diarrhea. Recently (this year) diagnosed with lupus as well as the possibility of other auto-immune diseases. I'm normally such an active, busy person (librarian), but my quality of life has diminished greatly. Thank you for your thoughts.
Fri, 25 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome again.
Yes, this is indicating such esophageal motility disorder which is characterized by painful spasms, heartburn and digestion difficulties with bloating, constipation or diarrhea. It would still be good to do barium swallow test and gasteoscopy since manometry may not be sufficient to rule out hiatal hernia. Second, this is treated similar to Gerd or gastric. You need to follow anti acid diet, avoid overeating, smoking and alcohol. Sleep with elevated upper body. Anti acid medication should be continued, but some other may be added such as nitrates, tryciclic antidepressants or baclofen. If there won't be improvement then endoscopic procedures may be required which includes botulinum injections into esophagus or myotomy which is done endoscopically. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask further questions.