• question-icon

What causes ridges in the fingernails?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: WHAT DOES IT INDICATE WHEN YOUR FINGERNAILS FEEL LIKE THEY HAVE RIDGES IN THEM, MY FINGERNAILS DON'T FEEL SMOOTH. THEY HAVE RAISED LINES IN THEM. I DON'T USE NAIL POLISH, HAVEN'T HAD POLISH NAILS FOR ABOUT 2OYRS. THANKS CR
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be normal at this age

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the question.
It would have been good if you can attach an image of the nails.
Ridges on the finger nails are a common phenomenon that we observe in most older adults in 70's of age. Do you have it on all nails?
If it is confined to one or two of the nails it could be local issue of the nail which needs to be checked.
If you have on all the nails it is because of the dryness and the lack of the blood supply to the underlying nail bed which also supplies the nutrients to the nail.
Generally we think of nutritional issues like lack of Iron, Vitamin E etc in such a case.
I suggest to apply vaseline or petroleum jelly over the nails.
If you do not have any more queries please close our discussion here.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam