What causes repeated episodes of deja vu and vertigo?

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have been having strange neurological episodes where i feel im slipping out of reality for a split second. Its almost like what i imagine vertigo would be like only im not dizzy. Its also similar in feeling to "deja vu" but again, it's only for a milisecond and then im "back" but i will expierience it every minute or two when it gets bad. Lately there has been some confusion too.

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of absence seizure require investigation

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
The episodes you described are like absences with transient cut off from surrounding and occurring many times a day.
Is there any history of generalized tonic clonic seizure or myoclonic jerks especially in morning.
For how long the symptoms present?
You should get examined by a neurologist and get an Eeg done.
Brain Mri is also required.
Drugs like anti epileptic can be started then.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 16 hours later
I do tend to shake a lot during the morning and if I am ever to nap there is a lot of shaking upon wakings.

I currently take Lamotrogine (Lamictal) for depression and mood stabilization, is this not an anti-seizure drug? I would say the episodes are almost more psychadellic in nature than anything else. I discontinued celexa about 6 weeks ago after taking it for many years. I experienced "brain zaps" and increasing anxiety symptoms at times, but these new things just started. I guess I'm hoping they were some manifestation of anxiety that would pass.

I recently tried buspar for 7-12 days and these symptoms (along with violent shaking on waking up) seemed to begin when I stopped taking buspar.

My father had a series of mini-strokes and TIA, likely from decades of taking psych meds for bipolar (he blames the lamictal for them) plus poor CardioVascular health.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms may be drug related

Detailed Answer:
Lamotrigine can also lead to tremors ,agitation and decrease in concentration.
Anti-seizure dose is higher.
What dosing is being administered to you?
First try to get it replaced by some other mood stabilizer and if no benefit then go for brain imaging and EEG.
Buspar withdrawal symptoms may also present like this and so gradual withdrawal is suggested.
Discuss these issues with your treating psychiatrist too.
For some relief clonazepam can be started.
Not related to stroke.

Dr N Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist