What causes recurring pancreatitis when suffering from diabetes?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
I have returned. Regarding my mother who is having reoccurring bouts of
pancreatitis which was diagnosed in Palm XXXXXXX CA about 3 years ago.
They seem to be happening more frequently. She is 82 yrs. old and has Diabetes 2.
She is very stubborn and knows it all and insists its from nothing
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She needs urgent intensive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
The answer lies in questions. Age and Diabetes of your mother makes the case severe and needs urgent hospitalisation and management with nothing per oral and maintenance of IV fluids and close look at blood gases and electrolytes and calcium and liver functions or the situation will worsen and may turn to be haemorrhagic pancreatitis and may turn out to be fatal.
Old age and diabetes are not friendly omens for pancreatitis and she needs urgent hospitalisation.
She needs urgent care or she will end up with alot of complications like shock and multi organ failure etc.
And last but not the least apart from all this management the etiology and cause for this trigger and recurrent bouts like alcohol, deranged lipid profile , gallbladder , infections or medications and drugs need to be evaluated.that must be sorted out and avoided in future to prevent recurrence.
Get her to an intensive care facility an let them take care of her.
I hope it helps. Take good care of her and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 33 minutes later
thank you for your reply. This is a very frustration situation for me
as I live with her. She drinks alcohol on a rare occasion, if over at
a sibling's house, not at home. She does not follow any sort of diabetic diet what so ever. No breakfast, no fruits, vegetables, high fat and sodium. Ritz crackers, cheese, peanut and ice cream.
She is overweight and for the most part leads a sedentary life. My father passed away from pancreatic cancer in 2010 and it wouldn't XXXXXXX me if the way they ate caused it. He was 88 and never sick a day in his life. Ultimately it is her choice to live out the rest of her life as she chooses but it is very difficult to stand by and watch such foolishness.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
She is lucky she is just having a pancreatitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
It is so sad and i am sorry for your troubles. You mother is literally killing her self.drinking alcohol, sedentary lifestyle no diabetes control diet , gaining weight poor diet preferences all are gold standard for chronic infection. If she is not interested in getting cure stop worrying for her.get her to a good hospital care and your duties are done.
You can't force someone to follow or take the treatment m you can just offer and that you L ready did.
There is nothing else you can do here.its time for her to decide what she wants.
Stop worrying for someone else mischiefs even that someone is your mother.
I hope it helps. Don't forget to close the discussion please.
Regards XXXXXXX