What causes recurring headache above the right eyebrow and nose bleeding?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Pediatric question - I have a 9 year old son who has had frequent headache above his right eyebrow off and on for at least a couple of months. Tonight, seemingly out of no where, he had a nose bleed out of the right nostril. What appeared to be a small blood clot (about a 1/3 of the size of a jelly bean) came out with the nose bleed. Would chalk it up to just a nose bleed and wouldn't relate the headache to it at all, except that he is stating that he felt the pain and pressure above right eyebrow for a little while prior to nose bleed and that he felt like something changed when the nose bleed began. He still feels pain there. He is rating it a 3 or 4 on pain scale. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
ENT examination will be of help

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concerns but do not worry. Occasional unilateral nose bleeds occur in kids usually due to ischemia and dryness of little's area. It's a highly vascular area present in the anterioinferior part of nasal septum. This condition doesn't need any intervention or treatment if bleeding stops.
Since it has been associated with frequent headaches on same side quite frequently, so an ENT examination is advisable to rule out chronic sinusitis and deviated nasal septum. These are easily treatable conditions and the plan of management mainly depends on clinical findings.

Hopefully it will be of help.