What causes recurring fever in an infant despite taking antibiotics?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: my son is 18 months and 10.3 kgs. last monday he got viral fever which came down in 2 days. We gave him crocin ds and meftal. After wednesday he had mild cough , so doctor gave relent plus which we gave for 4 days. then he was fine. But since yesterday he was warm and had temperature of 98.7-98.5. But just now he had 101.7, so i gave him crocin ds again. What could be the reason for this. whether viral fever can come after gap of 7 days again or it is something different.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a due viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health Care Magic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern.

Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of use of antibiotics, it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Lasting for more than 7 days or returning again after 7 days is unlikely and calls for a deeper look. A Widal test needs to be done to rule out typhoid. Some other reason is less likely.

Since your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol or acetaminophen (P-250, Crocin or Tylenol) to bring down. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (Mefenamic acid) which is more effective. The minimum gap between two doses of Crocin is 4-6 hours. The doses of Crocin and Meftal P are independent of each other. Minimum gap between doses of Meftal P is 6-8 hours.

However, I do not think that they would be needed to be used simultaneously. Also use tepid sponging.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee