What causes prominent visible lymph nodes in the neck?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello....this question pertains to my son, who is fifteen years old, 5'7, 126 pounds, and healthy with no medical issues. He has some visible lymph nodes on both sides of his neck which become more prominent when he turns his head to the side (his neck is quite thin). I took him to his pediatrician four months ago to have them checked out, and the doctor examined all of the lymph nodes on his body, and told me that these nodes were just slightly enlarged, benign and nothing to worry about. Last week I brought my son to the doctor again for his fifteen year checkup, and he was seen by a different doctor at the practice, who also examined the lymph nodes and said they were nothing to be concerned about. I was wondering if that is a common occurrence (my son has mild acne and wisdom teeth are erupting) and also looking for additional reassurances. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry as it is a very common occurance

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern.

I will tell you when you need to worry about the neck lymph nodes.

1. When they are more than 1.5cm in size.
2. When the kid has got prolonged fever of more than 2-4 weeks for which no cause could be ascertained.
3. Loss of appetite.
4. Significant weight loss.
5. Pallor or anemia.
6. Abdominal distension and pain the tummy due to liver or spleen enlargement.

If these are not there you need not worry about the lymph node enlargement in the neck. Sometimes acne and wisdom tooth eruption may cause this.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 hours later
Thank you so very much Dr. XXXXXXX for your reassuring answer!
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Happy that my suggestion helped you

Detailed Answer:
Hi...I wish your kid a bright future. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.

Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as ā€“ ASK ME A QUESTION ā€“ click on it.

Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad