What Causes Pleural Effusion And Soreness In Shoulder And Neck After Rib Fracture?
There can be fluid in lungs from rib fracture
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. Osteoporosis causes ribs to have less calcium and therefore they are weak and prone to injury and fracture.
2. Fractured ribs can cause slight amount of fluids in the covering of the lungs and probably that is the reason you had the small amount of fluid in the x ray. The fluid quantity depends on the fracture location and the displacement of the fractured segment.
3. Usually a small pocket of fluid is absorbed back in few days to weeks and that is why they will do a x ray for you after 1 month.
4. Symptoms like fluid collection and a sore shoulder can occur in many conditions including injury, weakness of bones in osteoporosis and cancer. Pneumonia can also cause fluid collection.
5. I am sure your doctor has examined you clinically and diagnosed your condition as rib fracture and small pleural effusion due to osteoporosis. If it was a condition like cancer then they would have informed you and suggested detailed evaluation including a chest CT scan. Rib fracture usually heals in 6 to 12 weeks. Please avoid coughing take precautions to prevent injury.
Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.