What causes pins and needles in the face while suffering from cluster headaches?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 8 Apr 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am getting a cluster headache behind my right temple. I am used to this, it happens from time to time. But, my left arm is going numb for about 2-3 minutes at a time, and my face is feeling all pins and needles on the left side only. I have looked in the mirror, and it looks like I have normal function for expression.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Migraines to consider too.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is not typical for cluster headaches to be associated with sensory disturbances, migraine with aura may cause such symptoms.

So, in my opinion, migraine headaches should be considered in your case.

This is true if there are other typical migraine symptoms such post aura headaches, vomiting, response to medication, hypersensitivity to light, etc.

A reevaluation by your Doctor is necessary, and if he is not convinced about the type of the headaches, brain imaging such MRI may be necessary to diagnose correctly your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy