• question-icon

What causes persistent nausea and fatigue?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am taking amlpdipine5mg, atenolol 50 mg, citaiopram 20 mg, hydroclorothiazide 12.5 mg, Memantine 5 mg.
I feel fatigued all of time I slep most of the afternoon and I feel nauseated and fatigued. This just happened after I was in hospital for vert high blood pressure
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fatigue and nausea

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The stress of having been in the hospital itself can cause fatigue for awhile until you recover, but more likely, the fatigue and nausea, which has persisted for a month, is from some of your medications.

Which of your medications are new for you or have had a dose increase, since before your hospital stay?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 25 minutes later
Amlodipine is new 5 mg
Atenolol increased from 25 mg to 50mg
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately, Amlodipine can cause stomach aches, nausea, sleepiness and fatigue.

Atenolol can sometimes cause tiredness too, but Amlodipine is more likely to cause this degree of fatigue that you are describing, along with the nausea. I'm going to speculate the problem is from the Amlodipine particularly if you were tolerating the Atenolol at a lower dose.

There is a lower dose of Amlodipine (2.5mg) that perhaps your doctor might consider if your blood pressure is under good control now. But using an entirely different class of blood pressure lowering medication might be the thing to do.

So, I recommend that you report your symptoms to your doctor and discuss the possibility of a different class of anti-hypertensive, or a lower dose of the Amlodipine.

Good luck, and please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh