What causes persistent high blood pressure despite taking medication?
It looks like you need to make other changes - but pls stay on these meds.
Hello and welcome,
I can understand not wanting to take a lot of medications if it doesn't seem like they are working well enough.
Either some of your medications are not working well enough, or whatever is causing such high pressures is continuing or worsening. When I've had patients with hypertension where we just can't get the pressures under control, I ask them to decrease alcohol consumption to one glass (or bottle of beer) per day if they drink more than that; and if they already only have one a day, to eliminate that.
If there is excessive emotional stress, I recommend addressing that - either with counseling, medication, or both.
If there is excessive weight/obesity, losing weight can often help bring down pressure.
But if none of these things apply, and all of these antihypertensive medications together are not controlling the blood pressure, then I refer people to a cardiologist.
I would not advise going off of any of your medications until your doctor feels it is safe to do so, because your pressures are already high, and discontinuing one of them could result in hypertensive urgency or hypertensive crisis (when diastolic is over 110, and yours is already 100). And when you were to go off of any, they would need to be tapered slowly, and your pressures would need to be monitored carefully.
So - next steps are either modifying the things I mentioned, or going to a cardiologist.
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What happens if i quit taking high blood pressure medications
- Taking carvedilol for high blood pressure right medication
- Forgot to take high blood pressure medication
- High blood pressure taking ramipril cause
- Is it ok to take centrum if on high blood pressure medication
- What is the medical term for high blood pressure
- Can taking citalopram cause high blood pressure
- What causes high blood pressure and what are the cure
- Whats the best time to take high blood pressure medication
- Should i take medication for high blood pressure