• question-icon

What causes persistent anxiety and depression?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hi, since 3 days I'm experiencing an unusual fatigue as soon as I walk or do any effort I feel like I'm fainting I feel my heart beating somewhat fast. Also I've been having this constant burp as is I have tons of air in my stomach every time I eat I feel discomfort about 10 min from eating. My head is heavy as if I have a hangover. I m suffering from depression and anxiety for sometime now and I've been on wellbutrin for over a year. THey gave me Xanax and that seems to calm me down but as long as I'm sitting as soon as I stands the symptoms come again. This comes and goes throughout the day.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This could be due to anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

I can understand your concern. You are taking treatment of depression and anxiety. You are having symptoms like fatigue, feeling of fainting and rapid heart rate especially when you stand up after sitting. First possibility that comes in my mind is postural hypotension. This is reduction of blood pressure on standing after sitting for some time. You can get your blood pressure checked at time of sitting position and then immediately on standing up after sitting for some time. If there is drop in blood pressure by 20 mm then that could be due to postural variations. Most of antidepressants have this side effect but you are on Wellbutrin and this drug is safe if we consider this side effect. Still I'd advise you to get the blood pressure checked.

Other possibility is relapse of anxiety symptoms. The response on taking Clonazepam also supports this.

Other possible reasons could be vitamin B12 deficiency and hypothyroidism. Get your B12 and thyroid hormone levels done to rule out these conditions. If these comes in normal range then we can label these symptoms occurring due to anxiety. You can re-consult your psychiatrist for evaluation of these symptoms.

Thanks and Take care.

You are welcome to ask follow up doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist