What causes periorbital edema and skin rashes-macules while treating rheumatoid arthritis?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Lupus
Question: Hello, I am having periorbital lid edema and skin rashes- macules with minor itching for about 6 days. I am taking sulfasalazine 1000mg bid for rheumatoid arthritis and am at week 4 at this dose.
Is this a minor reaction?
I am using OTC hydrocortisone cream and taking cetirizine 10mg PO for other allergy symptoms. I will inform my Rheumatologist of these Sx and what I am doing.
Should I be doing anything else to help?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
skin rash

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
There are two possibilities either this is a independent lesion or part of drug reaction.
In both cases hydrocortisone cream and cetrazine is what is to be done as far as the tratment is concerned and next step of oral steroids is to be started by your rheumatologist.
If it is part of drug reaction then also it is the rheumatologist who is to decide the sulfa dosage change.
In the nutshell what you are doing is ok till you see the rheumatologist and till then continue medication.
Any further query in this regard,please do grt back to me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Thank you for the support of what I am doing. I'll get with my Rheumatologist as mentioned. I appreciate your direction.

I hope your day is good.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
skin rash

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
You should seek an early appointment with your rheumatologist to guide you about any change of medication.
Thank you for your good wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar