What causes penile fungal infection?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

what causes the penile fungal infection?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
causes of penile fungus.

Detailed Answer:
The causes of penile fungal infection can be one of the following:-

1. Antibiotics - recent broad-spectrum antibiotic use, which causes a change in the balance of the normal microbial flora. This upsets the balance and allows the Candida to overgrow.

2. Taking medication that suppresses the immune system such as chemotherapy or corticosteroids.

3. Immunosuppression - weakened immunity reduces the body's defence against the fungus and so allows Candida to thrive. HIV infection is one example of something that weakens the immunity.

4. Diabetes, particularly if poorly controlled. Higher levels of blood sugar allow a more conducive environment for the yeasts to thrive.

5. Uncircumcised men with poor hygiene - men who have not been circumcised have a moist, dark, warm space underneath the foreskin that is favorable for yeast growth.

6. Personal hygiene.

7. Chronic local irritants such as bath foam, soaps, shower gels, lubricants, etc. can irritate the penis and lead to fungal infection, which is more likely on damaged skin. Not drying carefully after washing is also a risk factor because fungus can thrive on the penis in warm, moist conditions

8. Poor nutrition.
9. Receiving renal dialysis.
I hope i have answered your query.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 5 hours later
Hi Doc,

is there another medicine to use as an alternative if the one you prescribed isn't available?

Niku
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

You need anti-fungals anyhow:_
1. TAB FLUCONAZOLE 300mg once a week x 3 weeks.
2. CLOTRIMAZOLE cream 1% x local application x thrice a day x 5 days.

These two can be prescribed by your PCP.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee