• question-icon

What causes painful yellowish white sore on tongue?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: My son has a yellowish white sore with a dark center on his tongue. Its causing severe pain, he wont eat or drink because of the pain. He cries because its so painful. Can you tell me what this is and how to clear it up? Should I take him to the er or after hours clinic. His doctor couldn't see him today and is now closed until Monday. I don't want to make him wait until then for treatment.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs no intervention. Resolves on its own in about a week.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details provided and have checked the attached images as well. It seems that your son has somehow inadvertently bitten his tongue. As a result there a small amount of blood has leaked into the surrounding tissue. The blood gradually gets resorbed and in the process the light area of clearing (yellowish) is appearing around. It usually takes 3-7 days for full resorption. Nothing needs to be done and the process is a spontaneous one. Till then he has to bear with it. However, the pain would eventually come down.

You can surely take him to the after hours clinic and get him examined.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician