• question-icon

What causes painful trapped wind at night with history of IBS?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Lump
Question: I have a previous history with you in August 2015 I had a reply from Dr. T Chandrakant at that time.
Briefly, this is a follow up, however if you need details of my first enquiry please let me know.
Update,
Since my last report I have continued to suffer with IBS, almost always Trapped wind.
In September I started taking Probiotics and had good results for a month. Thereafter, my old symptoms restarted.
I then started a FODMAP under supervision. This was very successful for 2 months, but thereafter, the pains re occurred.
I then started taking Colpermin IBS. For a period of 14 days these were successful, then usual symptoms
Latterly I have started taking Linaclotide, these pills are very successful in making me more regular,
and for a time eased my trapped wind, but I am now back to normal with :-
Vary painful trapped wind which is now occurring particularly in the middle of the night. I have
been forced to take sleeping tablets recently, and this I do not wish to do over any period of time.
Is there anything on the market which is guaranteed to break up this severe and painful wind more or less on demand
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
As explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and faith in us.
To recapitulate: Male/77 - had interaction in August 2015 - IBS with trapped wind -probiotics in Sept and the control was good for for a month - same things happened in chronology with FODMAP under supervision, worked for 2 months - Colpermin IBS for 14 days - Linaclotide helped to make it regular and eased the trapped wind - but now very painful trapped wind in the middle of night - forced to take sleeping pills which you do not wish to - wants to know if there is anything on the market which would break up this severe and painful wind on demand...

I would suggest you the following:
Since every sort of treatment helped you, albeit for some time as you have mentioned, it would be worth trying the most suitable treatment once again and to change over to other before the effect reduces.
So start with Linaclotide and change over to others whenever required.
Try additionally the following:
Activated charcoal as it acts as absorbent, as also banana.
Make a list of foods, beverages and such products that instigate or enhance your problem. Strictly stop them. You may try for some days restriction on milk and milk products. Once by one you will soon realize the things that should be avoided.
The mainstay of IBS treatment is control of the stress and/or anxiety. it is possible that the medication you have been given has a role for its control.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon