What causes painful forearms and hands during sleep while suffering from psoriasis?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have psoriasis.
I have painful forearms and hands that feel tight and stinging when I sleep. My hands hurt so bad it wakes me up and I take 3 aspirins. The psoriasis lotion I am using is a prescription and powerful.
XXXX. I am XXXXXXX XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need work up for psoriatic arthritis and hyperurecemia

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, though you are already on a balanced treatment regimen for psoriasis, but certain related complications need to be ruled out with the current symptoms specially with psoriasis increased cells turn over leads to increased uric acid levels in the blood. That may cause the symptoms that you are experiencing. Kindly get the uric acid levels done and Meanwhile keep good water intake.

Another possibility with stiffening of upper limb is early development of psoriatic arthritis and upper limb radiographs and rheumatologisy review can be sought for that. Avoid too much aspirin, and alternative analgesics like acetaminophen can be used for pain.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana